Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fleischkeikle

Last night I found a NEW and {fAbUlOuS} use for my pasta roller attachment on my Kitchen Aid.  First I must tell you that my mother-in-law is a full German.  I am SO blessed to have her as my MIL...all of the old cliches about mother-in-laws just don't apply to Diane.  One of the things we ALL love about her is that she's a {wOnDeRfUl} cook.  We all have our favorites, but all of us agree that the traditional German Fleischkeikle is our all-time FAVE!  The recipe is quite simple, it's the TECHNIQUE that's important...and frankly, the most difficult for all of us daughter-in-laws and now grandaughters to perfect!  (I MUST say the only one who can TRULY make Fleischkeikle like Diane is her own daughter Nelle!)

Fleischkeikle  (totally unsure of the appropriate spelling...but it's pronounced flish-key-kla ....with a LONG I)

Filling
1 lb. burger
1/2 onion, chopped
S&P


Dough
2 eggs
2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
4-6 c. flour

Mix dough together and knead until stiff dough forms.  Break into pieces of equal size and roll out to form a rectangle about 6" wide and cut into 6-8" squares.  Drop tablespoons of the meat mixture onto the dough and fold dough over to make a pocket.  Seal by using a small plate and making a half circle around the edge.    Flatten the pocket to make sure meat is flat and thin inside pocket while also pinching the edges of the pocket to assure a good seal.  Fry in hot oil 3-4 minutes until golden brown on each side.  Drain on paper towels and keep warm until serving.  Our family serves this with Grandma Millie's {FaMoUs} potato salad and Diane's AMAZING hot pickles..YUM!

OKAY...so back to the Pasta Roller Attachment on the Kitchen Aid...Last night we were running short on time, but I had already promised the family to make this VERY FAVORITE meal and then it hit me!  I could use the Kitchen Aid to mix the dough (dough hook) and then the roller attachment to roll the dough for the Fleischkeikle!  YES!  {angels singing!} It worked fabulously!  And a somewhat difficult meal (for me) might just come to our table a little more often thanks to the wonders of Kitchen Aid! (Didn't take pics for this one...I'm SO bad about remembering!)






No comments:

Post a Comment